May 23, 2011

May 9, 2011, email from Laredo, TX

Dear Family,

Well, emails after phone calls are always a little bit dry, but I think I can come up with a few things to put down.

This week was a little bit slow. We had trouble finding new people to teach this week and were on pretty much a dry pool from the week before. We didn't get to spend too much time teaching, and our time spent finding didn't yield too much fruit. So, not too much of a productive week, but I have high hopes for the week coming. The colleges here got out this last week, and that means that a large portion of the student body has a little bit more free time on their hands. We have a few "formers" that were going to school that have invited us over again now that their schedules are more permitting. So hopefully we'll be able to see some results from that soon.

One thing I realized on the the phone with Mom is that I'm definitely getting into the habit of speaking Tex-Mex. Multiple times on the phone I wanted to say something in Spanish because it was the easiest way to express it, but caught myself having to think and change to English sometimes. I'm sure it's even harder for the missionaries that are in 100% Spanish speaking missions, but it was still a funny experience.

I'm also equally astonished at the fact that Elder Johnson called Mom for Mother's Day. I'm sure that must have been a conversation that Mom wasn't expecting. But, our families are good enough friends that I'm sure it wasn't too weird, overall. I hope he's doing well in Peru, and that everything is going well for him down there. (Ed. note: Mark couldn't get anyone to answer the phone at the Johnson household, so he called us. I could tell him that Rene was on a ten day trip to Guatemala. He went as an assistant for her father Father who is a dentist. They are on a humanitarian effort to improve the dental work in those preparing for missions and members and non-members needing free dental work. Jeff was also traveling. Mark ended up getting permission to call on Monday for his Mother's Day call from Peru so he could talk with family. We had a short, fun chat with Mark.)

Well, I'm not sure really what other stories there are to tell, other than the fact that I saw the pictures of Natalie on the blog which are pretty hilarious.

I hope that everyone had a great Mother's day, especially the new mothers in the family, and that everyone has a good week coming up. Next week I should have some more stories to tell since I won't have exhausted them the night before with Mom over the phone.

Love,

Elder Wood