August 15, 2011

August 15, 2011, email post from NEW ADDRESS in Laredo

Dear Family,
Well, this week was the first week of a new experience for me. The new missionary from the MTC arrived, Elder Stewart, from Ogden, Utah. It's interesting going into an area blind with a new missionary. You both walk in just kind of wide eyed and excited, without any real idea of what to do. I'm also in a bike area for the first time in my mission, which makes for an interesting experience as well. Working on bikes is a bit of a different approach than working in a car, but both are pretty great. Our area is also pretty big for a bike area, which is gonna make sure that my legs get pretty buff.

I don't think I've ever had a night of eight hours of sleep that has felt so short before. The biking and the sun manage to take a lot out of you, which has its ups and downs. You can eat just about as much as you want without getting full, since you body is just looking for calories wherever it can get them, and you can fall asleep at night in about a minute. Only problem is it feels like you wake up a minute later, only to realize 8 hours have past. Overall I'm really enjoying the area though, and it seems like it has a lot of potential. We've had a couple of cool experiences where we've found some great people who seem like they could really progress. For example, we walked down this one street and didn't knock any doors, but both felt impressed to knock a specific one. We found a lady who had been taught by elders two years ago, but they had lost track of her when the area got changed from an Elde'rs area to a Sister's area. We should be teaching her tonight and hopefully she'll be ready to start progressing to baptism.

Speaking of sister missionaries, Amy is on a mission?? That's awesome! James just got home and now Amy is going out huh. Taiwan will be an interesting mission I'm sure. Too bad she and James will be speaking different languages. Where is James at right now? Is he going back to school later this month or is he already off somewhere else?

My new address is...
Elder Roland Wood
4420 Loring #9
Laredo, TX, 78040

As far as birthday packages go... I have no idea. I'll think about it this week and hopefully get back to you next week. I don't need any more white shirts. All of mine have lasted so far, and are doing pretty well. A new belt could also be sent, but mine is still good so far. I'll be praying for JoAnn this week, and I hope everything will go well for her until her c-section date.

I hope everybody has a great week and things go well/get better.

Love,
Elder Wood