October 17, 2011

October 17, 2011, Email post from Laredo, TX

Dear Family,

Well, another rough week as far as the field goes. October is turning into kind of a bust for us since we haven't had any solid baptismal dates at church, and the month is quickly closing. We're working our hardest to set up for November. I had a really great interview with our President Trayner on Friday. It's always nice to have some counsel about the work, and even more so from the person who has the keys to direct it. We did manage to find a couple of new investigators this week that have a lot of potential. We'll be working with them more over the coming week and I'm excited to see the beginnings of their conversion processes.

Mom's package did come, but we were out working when the mail man came, so we have to go pick it up at the post office, which we will do right after we're done emailing here.

The weather here in Texas has been great as well. Fall is finally starting to settle in. Everything still looks the same mind you, but the air isn't heating the 110s anymore. It's been about mid 80s most of this week, which just made for beautiful days. Especially in a bike area, good weather is much appreciated. Probably my favorite part of being in a bike area is the night time rides home at about 9 oclock. The burning Laredo sun has gone down so its not hot, and the air normally has a nice breeze and has cooled off, making for an enjoyable time. Also, our area is either flat or uphilll from our house, so sometimes we get some nice relaxing downhill rides which are even better.

An Elder in our mission got hit by a car a week back. They were biking on the side of the main road and a drunk driver purposely sideswiped them. Or at least thats what I heard from the story. Both the Elders got hit by the car but one went up onto the car and then came down and the car ran over his leg. Miraculously, he had no injury to his leg and was just a bit shaken up. He was wearing his helmet as well so he didn't have any injuries really. Right after they got hit the next car pulled over and said, "I called 911, and I'm following the guy" and then took off. The cops then took up the chase and caught the guy who is now facing charges. Our mission president came and saw the driver getting into the cop car handcuffed, so I assume from there it will all get taken care of. The Lord does take care of his missionaries. There are numberless examples of that, and this is just another since the Elder was able to leave without any real injuries. Don't worry Mom, I wear my helmet and 95% of the time we're on the sidewalk :P.

The town is starting to get into Halloween and the decorations are starting to go up. We have a couple pretty rich neighborhoods in our area that get pretty into it, so we'll see if I can get any good pictures of the festivities. It's scary to think that this is going to be my last Halloween in the mission field. Even worse, another missionary asked me how long I had left. I thought about it and I only have 9 months left in the field! So, from now on I should be able to see most of the newborns in the family, except for Rose-Ellen's kid. She'll be the last one born before I get home I think.

I appreciated Mom sharing the letter she got from her Mom in the mission field. It is a good one. I'll have to write it down and take it to the apartment.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes and prayers. I do appreciate them, they help. I'm looking forward to a new week, we should have some good experiences with the people we've just found. Whatever the Lord wants me to learn from the experience is worth it, and soon we'll see the blessings I'm sure. Good luck to everybody this week, I hope everything goes well!

Love,

Elder Wood