December 19, 2011

December 19, 2011; EMAIL post from Brownsville, TX

Dear Family,


Wow, this week was really an amazing experience. It was our first week with our new companion, Elder Sanchez, and we saw a lot of miracles. He really is a man of great faith, and we had some experiences in the week that did a lot to build my faith as well. We'll see how many of them I get to share with the time that I have.


We found a family this week that is just great! We were planning the night before and we had some open time that we wanted to use to go finding. But we weren't sure of what method we wanted to use and where we needed to go. Elder Sanchez suggested that we say a prayer and ask God what we should do at 5 oclock that day. So, we kneeled down, said another prayer (this is in addition to the opening and closing), and then discussed how we felt. All of us had the idea that we should go knocking, and the question then was where. I had a section of town that I had wanted to visit for a while and then it kind of stuck out on the map to me. So we talked about it and then decided to go there. It's a pretty big street, and so when we got to it, we had to decide which direction to go. We chose to start going east to knock on doors. We went a good way down the street and then had to decide whether to continue or try going onto one of the cross streets. We said a prayer in the street, asking God to help us find a family. We then decided to continue around the bend of the same street we were on. Long story short, a short while later, we knocked the door of a lady. We talked for a bit, she invited us in, and we taught her, her husband and two of her kids. It was a really spiritual lesson. We shared with them the doctrine of Christ, and the story of how we had arrived at their home that afternoon. The spirit was really strong and they accepted the invitation to be baptized. And, to make the story even better, they came to church on Sunday, well, at least the mom and the dad. The dad was supposed to be working, but we promised him that if he prayed and asked, God would make a way for him to fulfill his desires to attend church, and look what happened! I still have no idea how his schedule changed, but he got work off and came with his wife. She had just finished work after a 12 hour shift, two hours before church started. It's amazing how the Lord works miracles, huh.

We found other investigators this week that seem to have a lot of potential, and I'm excited to start teaching them.

I'm excited for Christmas this week. I think it should be a fun time here in the mission. We're going to see some Christmas miracles. All the lights have started to go up in town. It was rainy and cold for a lot of this week, which was kind of a bummer, but I think it has all moved over by now since it's sunny and warm again today. I guess overcast days are a risk when you live right next to the ocean. Brownsville's motto is, "By the border, on the sea." Pretty true statement, and the rain and clouds come with it.

I'm starting to freak out about how little time I have left in the mission. Most of the time I just push it to the back of my mind and don't think about it. Especially around transfers and meeting the new missionaries the thought comes up a lot. The new missionaries really are the lucky ones. They have so many experiences ahead of them and so much growth that it makes me pretty jealous. That's really what I feel like the mission has been like for me so far-- a lot of service and a lot of growth. Spiritual growth of course. Don't think I'm coming back any taller :).

I think that we're really going to have an awesome time here in Cameron Park over these next few weeks. I hope our companionship can stay together for all that time and not go through any mid-transfer changes.

On a random note, I think it's really funny that our area is considered one of the most dangerous places in Brownsville. Really it's not that bad, it just has a reputation from about 10 years ago, when it was just all dirt roads and thugs. I have been offered drugs, though, a couple times by people chilling on the curb, haha. Sad stuff really! How much better would the world be if everyone just lived the Gospel? People look at me funny when I tell them that I'm a white guy/missionary from Cameron (You have to say it with the Mexican accent though).

Anyway, I hope everyone has a great Christmas this week and I'll talk to you all on Sunday! Hooray for Christmas! Oh, also, I'll be calling at 8 pm Texas time now because we have another missionary in our apartment and more time to schedule with the phone. I believe that it 6 o'clock for you in Virginia time. Thanks!!

Love,

Elder Wood