June 27, 2011

June 20, 2011, email post from Laredo

Dear Family,

It seems like I'm writing again after no time at all. Not too many things have changed this week, but I guess I could try to think of a few stories to tell.

We had zone conference this past week here in Laredo, which was a pretty cool experience. President Trayer spoke to us on finding people, which was a good topic to learn about since we've had trouble finding some people that want to progress. I don't know if I've ever commented on it before, but our mission president is hilarious. Our conference was filled with jokes that kept it very lively. The jokes he tells aren't really story type jokes, so it would be hard to repeat them to you since they normally just run along with whatever situation he is speaking about. He gave us a couple of new ideas for finding and contacting which I'm excited to apply in the coming weeks.

I also spent some time copying a large number of talks given by the apostles and prophets of this dispensation. I've come to realize this week that the Gospel is endless. You can never really come to know everything. When you think that you've read every chapter on faith in the Book of Mormon, you start reading somewhere else, and it shows up again. As members of the Lord's restored church, we know that the Lord has said, "My works will not end and my words will not cease." The best analogy I've come up for this idea is that it is as if you were thrown out into the middle of the ocean. You can swim as far around as you want on the surface of the water, and still not see any land. You can dive down to the deep and hold your breath for as long as you can, but you still have to come up because your lungs are burning before you can get anywhere near the bottom of the ocean. There is a listless number of topics and themes to study, and each one of them is so complex and fascinating that you'll never understand it all.

That's just a little thought I've had recently. If anyone would like to go read through some talks on LDS.org and then send me some of your favorites, that would be a cool experience to share with me. That goes for everybody--not just Mom!

I neglected to send a message home last week in honor of Father's Day due to lack of foresight. I figure I ought to remedy that situation now, even if it is a day late. First off, I'm grateful that I have a Dad that understands the importance of the Gospel. Because he is a convert to the Church, I'm sure it was nothing easy to do, but nevertheless he did it. He never let me get away with sleeping in instead of going to Church. I'm sure I must have made it a real battle sometimes. I'm thankful I have a Father who is willing to make sacrifices for others, especially his children. Few people I've met are as friendly, open-hearted and giving as Dad is. I'm sure that Dad will do great in the contest for the garden. If he doesn't win, I would invite them to make a contest between those people to see who has raised the best children. That's what Dad has really spent most of his time growing, and I don't think anyone could have a more impressive garden, persay. So thanks, Dad, for all the work. I hope that you had a great Father's Day. I love you!

I hope everyboyd has a great week and we keep doing well. Just leat me know what happens with everybody!

Love,

Elder Wood