August 15, 2011

August 1, 2011, email post from Laredo, TX

Dear Family,

I am grateful for the Gospel. Few people have what we have. I am eternally thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who cares for us and who set forth the great plan of happiness. One of my favorite quotes from Preach My Gospel has always been, "All that is unfair about life can be made right through the Atonement of Jesus Christ." I can't imagine the difficulty of a challenge like this, but I do know that God has all power in heaven and earth, and if we ask Him, He can give us the strength to overcome whatever trial we may face. Jesus Christ suffered all things. He went beneath all things, so that he could lift us up, together with those we love, back into the presence of the Father.

I'm grateful to know that heaven is a real place. And I'm thankful that I know that there are people there waiting for me. I wasn't able to meet Calvin before he moved on to the next world, but I know that I will meet him someday. The blessings of the Gospel are eternal, of that I'm sure. The Lord has promised an eternal family, and he can never take away that blessing. We can only take it away from ourselves. I know that Calvin will be the son of Warren and Mel Wood eternally, and that they will always be his parents. And one day, very soon in the perspective of eternity, they will be reunited, never to be apart again. I didn't always know that, but I'm glad that I do.

The kids of the family that we have been teaching got baptized yesterday. The mom still needs to attend church. She works on Sundays and the dad doesn't seem too interested, but the kids are great and were very excited. They have a good group of friends in high school that are members of the church as well. They should be set to stay active. We're going to be working more with the mom over the coming weeks in order to help her find a way not to work in order to attend church with her kids and get baptized. I hope that soon this family will be able to take part in all the blessings of the Gospel. I've come to learn that everyone needs it now whether they realize it or not, because when the day comes when they have trials or tragedies they will need the comfort that can only come through the Gospel and the atonement of Jesus Christ.

I'll be finding out this week if I'm staying in Laredo or going to a different place. I would imagine I'll be staying here but you never know. A large portion of the mission leadership will be changing and a lot of people will be training. We'll see what will happen. I suspect I'll stick here with Elder Piena for at least another transfer.

Know I love you and that God loves you too. Families are eternal. I know it and so do you.

Love,

Elder Wood