March 12, 2012

February 27, email post from Brownsville, TX

Dear Family,

Well, we had a great week this last week! I'm very low on time to write, (it seems like the time gets shorter each week) but I'm going to try to get in all I can.

Emilio, our investigator from last week is still doing really well. In the course of just about one full week teaching him he has read 1 Nephi up to the beginning of lAma twice, and is just about to start into Alma. He has the goal of finishing the Book of Mormon before his baptism on March 18th. I have no doubt that he'll do so, since he puts so much effort into reading and understanding. When we left him with a chapter to read he read it and took detailed notes on the meaning of each verse and what the general meaning of each verse was. It was really cool and he was able to get a lot out of just a small section of the Book of Mormon. When we went by to teach him on Saturday he said that he got a white shirt for church but needed a tie. We asked him what his favorite color was, since we go to the tie digs almost every Monday, and he said red. Elder Ross and I both looked down and saw that we were wearing red ties. We decided to both give him the ties we were wearing, which I think that he really appreciated. Then I had to teach him how to tie one, which was pretty fun.

We found another family this week that seems to be doing really well. They weren't able to come to church this week because they were out of town on a planned trip. Hopefully we'll be seeing good things from them in the future. The mom is investigating the church and seems to be doing really well and the dad is an inactive member from Matamoros, right across the border. We have an appointment set up with them for the day they get back from their trip. I think that we're going to see some great progression from them in these next couple days.

We had a lot of really spiritual lessons this week, and I'm grateful to the Lord for all of the guidance that I received. I've come to learn a lot more about what it means to have faith. This is something that I don't have a lot of time to explain, since my time is about up. One of the ideas that I heard that I liked was this, "Faith isn't knowing that the Lord can do something. (That's dumb, of course he can.) Faith is knowing that the Lord will do something." Just something to think about.

I love you, thank you for your prayers. I feel them everyday.


Love,

Elder Wood