May 7, 2012

May 7, 2012, email post from Corpus Christi, TX

Dear Family,
 
 
   Well, another week has gone by.  It seems scary to me just how fast this one was compared to all of the others.  I swear I woke up on Friday and thought it was Tuesday.  I figure that's a common syndrome among Viejo missionaries.
 
 
   Let me start off by saying that we had a great week.  From the get go on Monday night it just seemed like everything fell into place.   We were able to meet up with quite a few part member families, which was great.  During the course of the week we went out finding, and it seemed like wherever we went there was someone there who needed a message or needed help.  Corpus Christi is known in the mission as a town that is notoriously hard to find investigators.  When I got here I set the goal inside my heart that that wasn't going to keep me down.  We've been working extra hard and have been doing our best to be filled with faith at all times.  Averages on new investigators in the zone run between about 3 and 5, but this last week we found 14!  And they're not junk investigators either; each one of them has real potential.  Basically, every week since I've moved here has just become better and better.  Soon we'll be seeing the fruit of all those labors.
 
 
   On Saturday we had a pretty interesting experience.  On Saturday night, he BYU international folk dance team did a show at the Del Mar College which is here in my area.  We had a member call us and tell us that he wanted us to go with him because he had invited seven of his nonmember friends to go with him.  All of them had agreed.  It was pretty cool because we got to see the show with him and also use it as a finding opportunity with some of his friends.  We talked extensively with two of them and we're going to be making contact with the member to get them over to his house sometime this week so that we can help them start to investigate and progress.  The show was really cool by the way.  Mostly everybody that showed up to it were members from the city here, since at the same day and time there was a giant parade going on in the city for Buck Days.
 
 
   Mother's Day is coming up this Sunday!!  It's kind of freaky that this will be my last call home, but I try not to think about that as much as possible.  I'll give you a call on Saturday night to figure out what time exactly to call on Sunday.  I know Christian's cell.  I don't know if you'll be near him on Mother's Day though.
 
 
   Anyway, I'm running low on time, but know that I'm having a great time here in Corpus Christi and things are only looking to get better.  Wednesday and Thursday I'll be down in McAllen for the mission leadership conference.  I expect good things and then I'll return with a good many ideas to ponder and share.

 
Love you!
 
(and a special I love you to Mom)
 
 
Elder Wood