Dear Family,
This week as been a great week here in South Texas! I'm still here in Edinburg North, but we will be finding out about transfers this Saturday. I think that most likely I will stay here in the far North of the valley, but my companion, Elder Arens is convinced that he's out this transfer. He has apparently never stayed with a companion more than one transfer, other than his trainer which he had for two. So, if history continues to repeat itself, I will have a new companion here in just a short time. We didn't have any baptisms this past week, but our three baptisms from a few weeks ago finally received the Holy Ghost after being delayed a week due to Stake Conference. All in all this past Sunday, seven people were confirmed in Sacrament meeting, which took up a good twenty five minutes of the meeting. It was a great site, nevertheless.
We are currently teaching a few families here. We are still continuing to teach the Cubriel family. They were unfortunately unable to make it to church because the mother was sick and the father was competing in a charity golf tournament for the nearby college. Other than that, we are also teaching the Castillo family, a Spanish speaking husband, wife, daughter and aunt, who are progressing well, but have a few fears about being baptized that we are trying to resolve.
The real shining light of the people that we are working with right now is the Carrion family. They are a part member family here where the mother and father are active, but they have an inactive son and non-member daughter-in-law that also live with them. Last night we had an amazing lesson with them. The prior time we had met, we discussed how that only through the priesthood, J.C. (the Carrion's son) and his wife, Alex, would be able to be together with their newborn son in the eternities. Last night, we discussed the restoration of that priesthood. A very powerful testimony was given by Alex's mother-in-law and the Spirit was strongly present. However, the real force of the Spirit came when we invited Alex to get down with us on our knees and to ask God if Joseph Smith was a prophet, if this was His church, and that the priesthood authority to seal was again on the earth.
She offered a very simple, sincere prayer and directly asked her questions to God. After she ended her prayer we spent a good two and a half minutes just kneeling and listening to the Spirit. When I opened my eyes and looked up to see how Alex was feeling, she had her head still bowed down and eyes closed, but her face was covered with a steady stream of flowing tears. We asked her what she believed was the answer to her prayers, and she said that she believed that God was telling her that this was His church, and that Joseph Smith was His prophet. We invited her to be baptized and start a path towards receiving the blessings that the Lord had for her and she accepted.
Right now, as long as she remembers how she felt, and her husband J.C. is willing to support her in coming to church, she should soon be prepared to be baptized.
I am eternally grateful for the fact that God is aware of all of us. God was not busy, preoccupied or apathetic when we kneeled down and sincerely asked if these things were true. To the contrary, I know that God had his gaze upon us, and that he sent the Spirit to Alex and to us in heavenly answer to our prayer. I, and hopefully no one else, will ever forget that God focuses on individuals. If one person is willing to get down and to ask with a sincere heart, having real intent, God will answer and help that person to know the truth of all things.
I am ecstatic over the news of JoAnn and Nathan. It's another evidence of the personal support and care that the Lord can give us. Another Wood cousin being added to the group is fantastic news. I'm sure that everything will go well and that the baby will be a small one with a very accommodating head size. I'm also grateful that the Lord continues to provide support to Mel as the baby continues to grow. The hand of the Lord is there and is working to support her, of that I have no doubt.
Well, I only have a few minutes left to write, and I haven't even had a chance to wish everyone a happy Valentine's day. I hope that everybody gets a chance to spend some time with their loved ones and think of how much they mean to you. The Gospel of Jesus Christ was made to bring people together, and to offer us the chance to be with the ones that we love forever in the presence of our Creator. So, I hope everyone has a great day and has the opportunity to express the love that they hold for others. As for me, you know that I love you all and greatly appreciate the support that you give. I hope that I can continue to work hard and to show my love for the Lord through the work of the ministry. I hope everyone has a great Valentine's day and also a fantastic week!
Con mucho carino,
Elder Wood