April 18, 2011

April 11, 2011, email from Laredo, TX

Dear Family,

Well, after reading through Warren's post on the blog, Mom's letter, Dad's short letter, Christian's email and JoAnn's email, I'm not left with too much time to write this week. First and foremost, I think that it's most important I express my excitement and gratitude over the miracle our family experienced last Wednesday. Although I am sad I couldn't be with the rest of the family during this experience, I'm extremely grateful for the opportunity that I've had to be a part of it. Most of the people we are surrounded by day to day, as I have come to know on my mission, lack faith. They profess belief, but have no real trust or heartfelt confidence in God. I'm grateful that my family is not that way. The Lord has done a great deal to protect and provide for our family during these last few months. Calvin's delivery is just another part of the long list of the blessings He has given us.

I was touched by Warren's letter and that throughout it, both prayer and Priesthood were involved. I was especially touched by his blessing which got me thinking about the Priesthood and its involvement in the situation. We learn that through the Priesthood, Godly power is manifest (D&C 84:21). And so, I can hardly think of a place where the power of God would be more present than in a place where tender blessings are given by the Priesthood, the process of the creation of life ends, and a spirit son of our Heavenly Father enters mortality. I am grateful for the support and protection God has given our family, and I have reason to hope, that through our faithfulness and according to the will of God, that God's help will continue through the trials that are now starting with JoAnn and Nathan.

Like I said, I'm low on time to write, but so far, Laredo has been great. My new companion is Elder Anderson, from South Jordan, Utah. he's pretty quiet, but we have been getting along pretty well so far. The branches here in Laredo (an English branch and a Spanish branch) are very small. That's all the more reason to work hard and do our part so that can soon change. I fully expect to look back some years from now and find Stakes here in Laredo. So, I'm determined to do my work now to move that process forward. Like I said, I'm low on time to write, so I'll try to get in a little more about all this next week. Here is my new address in Laredo. I'll try to put on some pictures as well.

Elder Roland Wood
1917 S. Milmo Ave., Apt. #8
Laredo, TX 78043

Good luck to everyone and I hope you have a great week! Good luck with the wedding!

Love,

Elder Wood