April 14, 2011

March 21, 2011, email from Edinburg

Dear Family,

Well, these past few days have made up a pretty great week. This week was mostly highlighted by Alex's baptism this last Saturday. I've put in some pictures of her baptism, as well as some pictures from the baptism of Juana Maria, Katy and Jiliana because I'm not sure I ever sent those home. Interestingly enough, I am not sure I ever mentioned that Elder Raynor, my old companion from Donna, is here in Edinburg, too. He is in the Central area, but about a year ago he also served in the North area of Edinburg. When I left from Donna I was leaving him behind and going to his old area here in Edinburg. He gave me the names of some of the people he taught while he was in Edinburg that he thought I should go visit. Alex was actually one of those people that he told me to go visit. He taught her about a year ago, but at that time she wasn't quite ready to accept the Gospel. Now she is fully converted to the Church and is currently trying to decide what temple she wants to go into when she gets married for time and eternity. She left the baptism on Saturday with a picture of the Houston temple which she now keeps in her room to remind her of her goal a year from now.

Looking back on what happened with Alex, the pivotal moment for her was when we got down on our knees with her and prayed to know the truth. As we spent time with her to create an atmosphere where she could feel the Spirit, taught her how to pray and helped her know how to recognize the Spirit, then her conversion came through the Power of the Holy Ghost. She is confident that she knows that this is what God wants for her. I'm truly convinced that on a mission, we convert no one. We can only do our part to help them feel the Spirit, and by the power of the Spirit can they truly become converted.

We haven't had anything else really happen this week in the way of fantastic news, but we continue working and doing our best to help other people make the same steps that Alex just took to follow the Savior. Transfers will becoming up in just a few weeks, but again I suspect that I will be staying in Edinburg a while longer. I don't really expect any changes there, besides maybe a new companion.

I haven't received Mom's package from Arizona yet, but I'm sure it will get here soon. I hope Mark is doing well in Peru and that James is enjoying his time home. I'm sure Mel will continue to do well as the Lord protects her and that soon we will have another wonderful nephew added to the family. Give my congratulations and best wishes to Khand on her marriage. I hope Mom doesn't stress out too much over another reception in the back yard. I hope everyone has a great week!

Love,

Elder Wood