Dear Family,
The weather here in Texas has been surprisingly cold, at least considering what it is normally like here. Most of the Mexican people around here are walking around in sweaters and coats, even though it's still pretty hot. When you've been here for a while, sometimes it seems very cold just because you are used to it being super hot. I do just fine walking around in a short sleeved white shirt. Most people always ask me if I'm cold. I'm guessing I haven't been here quite long enough to have that condition yet.
I was glad to hear that Dad was able to give out a Book of Mormon this past week. Member involvement and work are essential to the whole of missionary work. The help of a member always makes the conversion process better and more comfortable, especially for an investigator. So keep up the good work all of you and do what you can to further the work. I'm glad to hear that Tyler is doing well and has already found a job to go into after he finishes school. I hope Mel improves and that everything will turn out all right for her and for the baby. They will definitely be in my prayers.
As far as stories go for this week, I've only got one really good one. Cindy is one of our investigators. I think I talked about her last time. She is a younger, divorced mother with two kids--Cleopatra, 11, and Cesar, 8. Both of her parents are LDS and converted just a few years ago. During the last week we had the lesson with her on prayer. We taught her how she could ask for help from God in anything, as long as it is something right. At work she got slammed with a large presentation that she had only one day to prepare before she needed to present it. Even worse, it was on a subject that she knew little about and would have to present to a large number of the employees at her work. While preparing the presentation a lot of problems came up, and she came home that night very stressed, worried and even thinking about quitting. So, remembering our lesson, that night she prayed for help with the presentation and that everything would go over well. Sure enough, the presentation ran smoothly and when she arrived to the question part at the end (which she was very scared about) the only questions that were asked were already in the FAQ portion of the presentation. So all in all, everything went over great, and now she has a strong testimony of the power of prayer. This is definitely something she will need when she wants to know about the truth of our message.
That is my great story from the week. The only other thing I could relate is something I did during P-day, today. Elder Cook (a missionary in Weslaco) and I made a trip into McAllen today in order to buy a set of cowboy boots. I did end up buying a set, and now I'm one piece further into my true Texas uniform. All I'm missing now is a hat and a set of longhorns to send home. I'll have to buy those if I ever get to Laredo.
Anyways, I hope everything is going well for everyone this week. I hope you will all have more chances to share the Gospel. I know if you'll keep your eyes open and look for them, the Lord will put someone in your path to give you an opportunity to share a part of this good news.
I'm grateful for how involved and committed the Ward in Arlington is in things like Home Teaching. It's always great for new or struggling members when they have really determined home and visiting teachers. The work it does to keep people close to the church and fortify new converts is priceless. It helps to build unity in the ward and is one of the greatest ways that we can obey the scripture, "When thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren". (Luke 22:32) I hope everyone is being sure to do what they can to fulfill and magnify their callings as home and visiting teachers.
Love,
Elder Wood