Hi, Everyone!
Not too much has changed this past week in Donna. I guess there are a few things that happened that I can talk about. This past week we've been working on meeting with our investigators as often as possible. So far in my mission I've seen a trend where we are able to start talking to people and have maybe one or two lessons and set a baptismal date. However, after the initial phase it seems like we always hit a point where our investigator just drops off the radar. They won't answer calls, aren't at their house, and seem to always be busy, and then absent for a return appointment. I'm not sure if it's something to do with the way that we're teaching, the culture here, or something else. It does seem like that's what always happens to our investigators.
However, on a brighter note, Hector has now been to church twice and is progressing well as an investigator. He's been reading the Book of Mormon from the beginning and the first night he had read the first 9 chapters of 1 Nephi! And, even more impressive, is that he remembered 95% of what he read! he has a lot of questions about the Gospel and I do my best to answer them in Spanish. The ward is fellowshipping him well and he already has quite a few friends. This is definitely something I am very grateful for. Whenever he asks us a question I can normally give him an answer and a scripture for it. We're working with him on receiving an answer for himself through prayer. To really have someone converted and have their faith able to withstand pressure and hard times, they need to receive an answer from their Heavenly Father. I said in one of our district meetings, "Testimonies based on scriptures get shaken. Testimonies gained through prayer are permanent." That is our goal with Hector this week, to get him to understand the power of prayer and to take the time to pray specifically for an answer. The best part is I know that if he does pray with faith, he will receive that answer.
I sent a lot of pictures home this week so hopefully they'll make their way up. The biggest event in them is probably the fact that we got and sorted through the tie bale. After sorting through 1000 pounds of ties, we found all the good ones, washed them inside of socks, ironed them and divided them up. All in all, I got about 25 good ties, some of which are pretty expensive, all for $9. The pictures are of the raw bale of ties, but this next week hopefully I'll send home a picture of the rewards I managed to reap.
All is well and progressing here in Donna, and transfers are happening this week. I managed to be lucky enough to stay in Donna for at least another six weeks. We are having two new Elders and one new Sister (one of the sisters who was in the MTC with me, Sister Bricker) coming into our district tomorrow. We are excited for them to be here. Hope everything is going well in Virginia, New York, Washington, Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Houston, and wherever anyone else might be!
Love,
Elder Wood