August 28, 2010

August 10, 2010 (Email letter from the MTC)

Dear Mom/Family/Friends,

This week here at the MTC has been pretty interesting. I got released from my District Leader calling after serving about 5 weeks, which is the normal duration of that calling here at the MTC. Everything is going pretty well here and things are coming along nicely. I'll be writing an actual letter home later today which should have more of the experiences of the week in it since I have my journal on hand when I'm writing it.

I haven't received Mom's package from Texas yet, but I'm sure it will get here soon. I'm excited for whatever is in it--candy, blankets, whatever!

I'm really excited for Mark to get here. I've talked to a bunch of our old friends from BYU and we're all waiting to see him on Wednesday. Most of the new missionaries all file in like a bunch of confused tourists during diners on Wednesday nights, so I'll be watching for him to come in. I'm also very curious about this new haircut he has, and I'm sure it will be quite a laugh. However, even funnier I think, is that I've heard that when the missionaries going to Peru arrive there they shave their heads first thing. I don't think words can express how much I'm waiting to see a picture of Elder Johnson with a buzz cut!

As far as Christian's job goes, I hope he will have better luck this time with the Census. Hopefully, he'll get some better hours and the fact that it si only in Provo should help with the job a bit. I can't wait for the moment when he knocks on one of his friend's houses and has to chastise them about not filling out their census forms.

A lot of the people here come from part-member families, or families that were less active at one time. It has made me really grateful that I come from a family that is strong in the Gospel and have all faithfully fulfilled their callings and assignments. Mom, good luck with your meetings with all the other wards. I know you're doing a lot of good and people you may not even suspect are grateful for your performance and faithfulness in serving within the Church.

I am really glad that Jonathan and Emily are doing well It is awesome that Jonathan is receiving such great acknowledgment and respect for the work that he does. It's always great to have such hard workers in your family who set an example for you of how to buckle down, work hard and provide for others. However a more important accomplishment than his job is his new baby girl! It's amazing how big she is. I'm fairly certain that Jonathan and Emily are going to have the biggest grandchildren out of anyone, but who knows?

The weather here is nice, cool but not too hot, even though we're indoors most of the time anyway. I'm normally outside for gym time one hour a day and then outside for maybe two of the four hours I have for study time every day. It really is a beautiful summer here, especially with the mountains and the great weather. I know Texas will be hot, but hopefully I'll be able to be focused enough on my work that the heat won't bother me too much. With five weeks now here in the MTC, I'm getting the urge to go out and get to work, but I know that I'll need the extra four weeks of Spanish practice. Hopefully, I'll use them to their fullest potential.

Anyways, like I said, you'll get a snail mail letter with more of the experiences in the week, but until then, just hold tight. The Gospel is true and is the most important work now and in eternity!