Well, I have officially reached my first P-day, and I am also just short of a week here at the MTC. The experience has been great, but it's definitely a lot of work. The first day arriving here was quite hectic, but somehow through the madness I was able to get situated and meet the rest of the missionaries in my District. My companion is Elder Brock Lybbert, whom Dad would probably like because he's from an area in Washington near Tri-Cities, Moses Lake. We are getting along well as a companionship so far, but it's only the first week. People don't really like to be confrontational early on. I'm sure something will come up that will cause a bit of tension, but I'm confident in our ability as a companionship to effectively sort those issues out.
As you might already know from the letter I sent to you (I don't know if it's gotten there already), I am the District Leader for my group of missionaries. So far it hasn't been too much work, besides a bit of organization, some meetings, and picking up everyone's mail each day. However, it might get a bit more difficult starting later this week because I am conducting interviews with the senior companions in order to see how the missionaries are meshing together. If any issues come up with that, I might have a bit more of a job ahead of me. I am excited for the opportunity I have to serve my fellow missionaries, and I know that the Lord is strengthening me as I try to fulfill my leadership duties as well as my regular duties as a missionary.
My teacher for class is Hermano Maughan, who is perhaps, the greatest person on this earth. He served his mission in Argentina and he is a wonderful Spanish teacher. However, more important than his ability to speak Spanish is how well he knows how to invite the Spirit. His stories and testimonies are very moving, and the Spirit seems to follow in every lesson that he teaches. Even when he speaks Spanish, saying things we don't really understand, the confirmation of the Spirit is felt by everyone. He recited the Joseph Smith story in Spanish, and even though I didn't understand every part, I know that what he said was true, and I hope to be able to bear testimony as powerfully as he can.
So far, learning Spanish has been a challenge, but the Lord has helped make me equal to the task. We have learned how to conjugate regular verbs, subject pronouns, and how to pray and testify in Spanish fluently. It is truly a beautiful language, and I am eager to use it to further the work of the Lord. So far, this is my testimony in Spanish, and I'll translate it afterwards so that everyone can understand it.
(Editor's note: I don't know how to find and use the diacritical markings for Spanish, so I will ignore them.)
Tango un testimonio de Jesucristo. Testifico que Jusucristo es nuestro Redentor y Salvador. Se que somos encontrar la vida eterna a traves de la expiacion de Jesucristo. Testifico que Dios ama a usted y todo las personas de la tierra. Se que las familias pueden estar juntas para siempre. Se que podemos por medio del Espiritu Santo que Jose Smith fue un profeta de Dios. Se que Thomas S. Monson es un profeta de Dios oy tambien. Se que El libro de Mormon es un otro testamento de Jesucristo y contiene la palabra de Dios. Testifico que el Libro de mormon es verdadero y contiene la plentitud de el evangelio de Jesucristo. Se que esto es verdad al sentir de el Espirtu Santo. En el nombre de Jesucristo, amen.
I have a testimony of Jesus Christ. I testify that Christ is our Redeemer and Savior. I know we are able to find eternal life through Jesus Christ. I testify that God loves you and all the people of the Earth. I know families can be together forever. I know through the Holy Ghost that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. I know Thomas s. Monson is a prophet of God today, also. I know the Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ and contains the word of God. I testify that the Book of Mormon is true and contains the fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I know this is true through the Holy Ghost. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
Anyways, now that I've said all that I want to, how is everyone doing? Has Utah been interesting for your visit? And how has planning for the reunion been going? How is Allison and the rest of the grandkids? You should have a letter that has my address written in it by now or soon. Be sure to post that on the blog and then encourage anybody who wants to, to write to me. I'll send pictures next week. Thanks a lot and write back soon!@ Oh, dearelder.com is great for writing me letters.
Elder Wood
(Further editorial note: We have had multiple problems with the Internet and crashing computers at 4510 and in Provo at 1009 Briar--Christian's home. This has led to postings out of order and incomplete. Further, I am having issues with finding and posting the pictures that I have managed to download to my computer, but can't seem to get up on the blog. I will call in somebody younger and smarter than I and see if I can't post some of Roland's pictures in the coming week.)