Dear Family (or Everybody),
I trust you got my email, which had my response to some letters and emails, so this letter will just be me telling my stories from this week.
My first story from the week is about our TRC (Teaching Resource Center) on Wednesday. We had to follow up on commitments with an "investigator," get to know them and their family and arrange to pick them up for Church, all in Spanish. Overall, it went really well! Our Spanish was great, and then at the end we taught him the second lesson about the Plan of Salvation in English. The lesson went over really well too, and the "investigator" told us how much he felt the Spirit. it's always really nice to see just how far you have come as a missionary and see how your teaching skills have improved.
So, the TRC went over well, but the more interesting story from the week was our lesson with Hermono Maughan as our investigator "Jorge." His family was killed in a car accident by a drunk driver, and we've been working to help him feel peace and happiness again through the Plan of Salvation. We taught him about the ability to live with his family again and the peace that forgiveness can bring. We had some scriptures and questions prepared for him, which highlighted the necessity and joy of forgiveness as well as the effects of the Atonement and the importance of following Christ's example. The lesson went over well both in the aspects of having the investigator feel the Spirit and speaking our Spanish well and understanding Jorge's Spanish. We committed him to pray for peace and strength as well as coming to church with us this Sunday. Overall it was a really great lesson that strengthened my confidence in the help of the Lord as well as the growth of my Spanish abilities.
This last Sunday here at the MTC was Fast Sunday which means that we had Mission Conference. All of the Presidency of the MTC spoke, but I think by far the most interesting talk was the talk given by President Smith (the President of the MTC). Basically, to sum up his talk in one sentence, he reminded us that our loyalty is first to the Lord, second to our Mission President and third, to our District/Zone leaders. It was a nice message because it reminded me that as District Leader, my loyalty isn't to protect, coddle or shield my missionaries, but to further the work of the Lord. I only have about a week or so left of being District Leader, but I intend to fulfill my duty to the Lord with all my heart, might, mind and strength until I am released from my calling as a missionary.
The Gospel is true. There is no more simple statement than that to declare the truth and necessity of my purpose. I will do all in my power to bring people to a knowledge of their Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and the reality of his infinite and atoning sacrifice. I will strive to bring all people to the possesion of a real and powerful testimony of the truth of the Gospel. Bringing them to faith in the Lord, Jesus Christ, repentence, baptism, the receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost and encouraging them to endure to the end is my great honor and responsibility. I am excited and ready to declare the truth of the things revealed to Joseph Smith and declare the presence of a true Prophet on the earth today.
It's good to hear from everyone and I hope everybody will continue to let me know what's happening and going on in their lives. I hope everyone has a great and productive week!
Love,
Elder Wood