Editor's note: Roland will have but one more email opportunity from the MTC as he leaves for Texas on September 8th. This is your last chance to write him a letter before he leaves the MTC. Also remember that his birthday is on September 14. You should post any packages to him to the McAllen Mission Home. I will post that address after I look up the appropriate zip code. (At the end of this letter Roland says he won't have another email opportunity at the MTC, but if he leaves on the 8th as his address implies, he should have one more email opportunity.) If you send your letter via DearElder.com, they actually post the letters immediately to the MTC and he gets your email letter via Provo post. So, that is one way for you to be sure he gets your letter before he leaves Provo, even if he doesn't have another email opportunity.
Roland's letter:
Dear Family,
This week has been pretty normalish, except for a few instances, I guess. Most of them were at the beginning of this last week, right after I sent off my last email.
To start off, last Tuesday night we had Jeffery R. Holland come speak to us! It was awesome! One, because Elder Holland is known for his rousing speeches, and two, because he is the first member of the Quorum of the Twelve we've had speak to us. His remarks were filled with great quotes and inspirational reminders. He stressed that there are three things that missionaries don't do well. First, they don't study well together with their companions. Second, they don't plan well enough, really scheduling every bit of space and having backup plans for appointments that fall through or if something goes amiss. Third, they don't teach with the power and authority that is given to them in their calling. This past week I've been trying to work on all of these and really do as Elder Holland directed, and waste none of the Lord's time. He stressed the importance of exact obedience and how in order to teach with power and authority we need to obey all of the mission rules, so that the Spirit of the Lord can be unrestrained when trying to work in us. Probably the best two quotes that he gave were first, when speaking about mission rules, "You can't do it your way! This isn't Burger King! We don't hold the pickles!" And second, when speaking about diligence, "You've got to work hard and talk with everyone. Every step, every day, every person, all the way!". Those are just two among many, many good quotes that were given to us by Elder Holland, most of which are recorded in my study journal back in my class.
The other really cool experience that we had this week was our TRC (Teaching Resource Center) investigator. She was the mother of a young woman who comes regularly and volunteers at the TRC, but she herself had not come before. Elder Lybbert and I had a fantastic lesson with her about the Plan of Salvation and the Word of Wisdom. The Spirit was really strong, and you could visibly see it working in this mother. Her eyes would start to tear up and then she'd start crying when we were testifying of the life and sacrifice of the Savior, as well as the opportunity she has, through Him, to live with Him and her family forever. It was a great lesson and really was a great confidence booster for these last couple of weeks at the MTC.
I've only got a few minutes left on my email, so I'll relay one last short story and then send just one or two more in a letter home. I was talking to one of the Counselors in our Branch Presidency, who was talking about just how hard it was to walk so far every day in the mission field. Walking up to six or more miles a day really took a toll on his body, and he was trying to warn/scare us for how hard it could be. When I told him that I had done the Alonzo Stag hike in Virginia and had done 50 miles in a day, a surprised look popped onto his face and he said, "Oh, okay, well I guess you won't have a problem with that one ha-ha!" So, I'd just like to give a quick thanks to Rene and the Young Men leaders for getting me to go on that. And now that I have had that experience, I have no need to complain about how dead my legs are because I can always refer back to that experience and the fact that it doesn't hurt as much and I'll be able to walk the next day.
As far as the calling card goes, I can buy a $5 one here, which should be fine, but if Mom could send me the phone numbers and addresses for the kids that would be great. I won't have another chance to email before I leave, so I'll need that in actual mail. Also, the address for the mission home is: 200 W La Vista Ave., McAllen TX (and then the zip code for that area, can be Googled).
10 seconds, gotta go!
Love you all!
Elder Wood