August 30, 2010

August 17, 2010 (Email from the MTC)

AWW! I can't believe I had to miss one of Dad's talks. I always enjoy hearing him speak and learning from his experiences. He's a great speaker and I can always pick out something to work on myself by the time he's done.

I'm sorry for all your computer troubles. That sounds like an annoying hassle. I'm glad something good came out of Christian's computer problems and that he'll be able to get it mostly restored. The new semester is coming up so hopefully it won't be a distraction to him. I'll get on sending you the papers about Grandpa Hall. Just be sure that you put them somewhere where I can get to them when I get back. I've enjoyed reading them very much. Well, now I guess it comes to the events of the week.

It was my first week not as District Leader. It's amazing how much more time you have when you're not running around doing interviews or filling out reports on Thursday night. However. . . that didn't last too long, because on Saturday night My companion and I (Elder Lybbert) were called as Zone Leaders. I thought that I would get a Sunday without any meetings, but the Lord has seen fit to have me humble myself in that manner and I'm now in even more meetings on Sunday than I was before! The ZLs before me, Elders Paulsen and Whitaker, were both really great Elders, and I learned a lot from their examples. Hopefully, I will be a better Zone Leader because of it. It's quite a change from being a district leader, in my opinion, because it really drives you to be the best example possible and to be friendly and loving towards everyone. I've always tried my hardest to get to know people and ben an example, but when you're responsible for introducing, befriending, comforting and training the new missionaries it gets a little bit more intense. I don't think I've ever been more concerned with how clean my room is, because as ZL my room is supposed to be the example for all the new missionaries that we will have coming in on Wednesday and also for anyone who chances to see it. So I've made a habit of never having a piece of clothing ouch the floor, and my bed is made as soon as I get up--which I'm sure Dad would appreciate. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to serve as a ZL because when I look back, the two companionships of ZL's I've had here were great examples to me and helped me to set the tone of my study and service for the first few weeks. I hope that I can do that same thing for the Elders we have coming in. I can remember just how much I looked up to the ZLs when I arrived.

That has been the big event of the week, and other than that it has been studying Spanish and teaching to "investigators". I'll relate most of those experiences through my letter home this week since I can write that with my journal on hand. it will help me to remember exactly who I've taught and what happened.

In other news for this week, on Sunday we had a big reunion and picture taking with the Elders in the MTC who were from my old BYU ward. It was quite remarkable to see twenty or so of my old friends who were now committing themselves to serving the Lord. I got a big group picture as well as one with Elders Moody, Johnson and Moss who are some of my really good friends. I'll send some copies of those pictures home this coming week to be put up on the blog.

Other than that, I'm not sure too much has happened this week. Due to my wonderfully limited email time, I'll be relating more of my experiences of the week in my written letter home. Thanks for writing me and keep encouraging others to write. I'm always happy to receive and reply!

Love,

Elder Wood